Good day everyone – brands love the reach and potential connectivity of social, but they often forget to be authentic. Authenticity = trust and trust = customer loyalty. These are my answers from a favorite tweetchat: #Hootchat hosted by @HootCommunity
Q1: What does it mean to be authentic?
Have a real picture, not an avatar – use your real name – speak directly
- It is great to RT and share other’s thoughts, don’t forget to share yours
- Admit mistakes and take responsibility
Q2: Why does authenticity matter?
- Customers do business with and promote brands & services they trust
- Nothing kills authenticity like a canned email
Q3: What are some online habits of authentic people (or brands)?
- Companies who don’t just give me survey, but the results as well
- They don’t only listen on social, but respond as well
Q4: Who are the most authentic people or brands?
- @Crafted_MA and @ButcherBoyMrket so social well
- Within their community: @JiveSoftware provides many answers as well as the ability to log a case
Q5: How does authenticity help build your personal brand?
- People are willing to promote your personal brand, write you a recommendation. authenticity = trust
- Social is a reputation you cannot defend or put into context, what do ppl see about you?
- Just like a corporate brand, authenticity builds trust: clients, employers, community members
Q6: How can brands be authentic when interacting?
- Don’t hide behind or defend a bad policy
- No canned emails – say “thank you”
Q7: How can you screw up being authentic?
- No way to reach a person within your organization: horrible phone tree or no contact emails
- The emailed response comes from a “DoNotReply email address” No way to respond or have a conversation
Thanks for reading, and I look forward to reading your comments. You can read a more complete transcript in my Storify recap. Join into #Hootchat, 3pm EST every Thursday – look forward to seeing you.