This is my recap of the 2/4 #TwitterSmarter chat hosted by @MadalynSklar. Join the conversation every Thursday at 1pm EST and learn how to optimize your Twitter game.
#Icebreaker Question: What are your fave apps that help you shine on Twitter?
Q1. Is Twitter still a great platform to drive traffic? Why?
- Twitter not only provides targeted reach, but efforts can easily be tracked via Google Analytics
- By utilizing hashtags, Twitter helps new users find you
- Twitter is not only great for engaging – remember to socially listen too
Q2. How is driving traffic different today compared to a few years ago?
- With better listening tools and measurement analytics, it is easier to know who to target
- More tools available to tweet smarter
- With all the helpful tools, sadly there are more bots and spammers too 😦
Q3. Who are the best people you follow on Twitter? Why?
- The best people are those who share –
#custserv #bufferchat #hootchat #sproutchat & this one have the best #twittersmarter
- Not to cop out, but I have too many to name – thank goodness for tweetchats and twitter lists
Q4: How can Twitter help you generate new ideas and drive more traffic?
- The more you participate, the more knowledge you find & contacts you make
- The more you socially listen, the better you can target content (hashtags)
- The more you engage, the more relationships you build & they will share your content
- Ask questions, give answers, say thank you, like and retweet other’s content
Q5: How can you tell if your Twitter efforts are working or not?
- Via Google Analytics: Sessions – New Users – Pages / Session – Ave. Session Duration
- For Twitter: Likes and Like-Ratio – Retweets – Replies – Lists
Q6. Do you have any secret methods to drive more traffic using Twitter?
- Be yourself – let your personality come through – share what your audience finds valuable
- Thank people for Following you, Retweeting you, adding you to their lists
- Retweet the content you find interesting
- In business, tweet things that help your customers rather than promote your brand
- Add pictures to your tweets
Q7. Should automation be used as part of your strategy to drive more traffic on Twitter?
- The only automation I use is pre-scheduling tweets, not a fan of auto-responses
- I am very careful with automation: I want to be efficient, but authentic as well
Q8 What do you think Twitter should do to get more users and remain competitive?
- DO NOT expand the 140
- Keep improving tools and analytics
Hope to see you at the next #TwitterSmarter – Look forward to chatting with you.