My recap of the 2/8/2017 #Bufferchat hosted by @buffer. Join the conversation every Wednesday at 12pm EST.
Q1: In your opinion, what are the fundamentals of a great story?
- A great story is one that others can relate to and are inspired by
- A great story teaches a lesson & inspires
Q2: Why infuse storytelling into marketing?
- Add storytelling to marketing to help build a bridge to the customer – help them relate to you
- Storytelling helps customers take the journey with you
- Storytelling differentiates your brand from the pack – you are not simply pushing info or broadcasting brand info
Q3: What kind of content can you create to tell stories? What forms can stories take?
- Video, video, video
- Infographics are great storytellers that are easily digested
- Tweetchats allow participants to contribute to the story
Q4: What are tips for making sure your brand voice is heard through your storytelling?
- Don’t simply tell your story, respond to comments and engage
- Tell a story how your brand helped a customer succeed – or better yet, invite a customer to do it
Q5: How can you involve your audience/customers in your storytelling?
- Invite them to tell a story – how did you help them be successful
- Invite customers into community focus groups to discuss products, issues, and solutions
- Make the customer the star of the story, rather than your brand
Q6: Which companies or personal brands do a great job at telling stories, and how?
@Budweiser told a great story during the #SuperBowl @BostEngineering @LLBean @vineyardvines tell great stories
- “We are Farmers…”
@Ford has been putting our some great spots with parents and kids learning to drive
Q7: What makes someone a great storyteller?
- They build trust right away
- You can relate to them
- A great storyteller DOES NOT lecture or talk down to you – you feel engaged
Here is a video example of storytelling content from my community: the customer telling their amazing story. Boston Engineering – Reverse Engineer 20 Million Years of Biological Evolution:
Thanks for reading – I look forward to you comments and hope to see you at the next #bufferchat.